It was a long week for us here, but today was a great day. I took the big girl to her first birthday party for one of her classmates. It was at the local skating rink. Now, I don't know how many of you old timers out there still skate, but it's been about 20 years since I have. (Yes, my high school did a performance of Starlight Express, so I had skated once since puberty). Well big girl has never, ever skated, but all week she was looking forward to going to the party. Since I was the parent who had the past skating experience, I had the pleasure of taking her. As soon as we went into the building it was like I was right back in junior high. The music, the lights, the sweaty tan and orange skates- nothing changed.
So big girl had a tough first hour hugging the wall and falling at least 20 times. Then we ate, sang Happy Birthday, played the pinball machine and she was out on the floor again. I could see the discouragement on her face though as quite a few of her classmates whizzed by on their inline skates. Everyone was so friendly, but my girl is not the type to hang onto the wall. So I did it. I put on a rented pair of size 7 1/2 skates and went out of the floor to cheer her on. It worked. She made it once around the rink without falling. Then she did it again. She got faster and her confidence went through the roof. By the end of the party she was playing tag in the roller rink. My big girl! I was just so proud of her I could have burst. The funny thing is I think she was just as proud of me for getting out there to skate with her. So next week I think the whole family will be back.
Hang in there everyone. You are all in our thoughts and prayers constantly. We hope the generators are helping and that you have fuel to keep them powered. Miss you all.
2 comments:
Finally have power back, and I had to log onto your blog! We got power late yesterday afternoon. From what I understand, only 63% (I think) have power back here in BR. Now we're just praying that Ike doesn't come our way. Different models have different projections, so it's too soon to tell.
Glad you are doing good. Hopefully LSU will play this weekend--there's talk about using the Dome. Geaux Tigers!
skip to main | skip to sidebar Louisiana-Dad
Monday, September 8, 2008
Hi Daughter
Everyone here in LA-Dutchtown okay - Great picture of family on Tiger Day - Would like to talk to you live - call me today.
Post a Comment